How to safeguard your vacant home from squatters and trespassers

If you own a home that is vacant, you are at risk of squatters or trepassers breaking in, occupying your home and living there rent-free.

Once squatters or trespassers occupy your property, it is very difficult, time consuming and often very costly to remove these illegal occupants.

Be proactive and take these legal steps needed to protect your home.
Remove these occupants BEFORE your property is broken into and occupied
by a trespasser or squatter.

  1. Visit the Harbor Police Department desk and ask to complete aNo Trespass Authorization form”.
    1. This form will then be entered into the LAPD’s database.
    2. It will then be accessible to officers responding to a break-in at your property.
    3. The LAPD is powerless to remove the illegal occupants without this documentation.
  2. Post the “No Trespass Authorization form” on the home’s nearest window at both the front and back doors.
  3. Post a “Closed to Public sign” adjacent to the “No Trespass Authorization form”. This sign should show the L.A.M.C. Section Code 41.24.
  4. Make certain both signs are posted on the glass from the inside of the home. This will reduce chances of their removal by criminals or passerby.
  5. Take a photo of both sign postings for your records. This is to show the police if someone breaks in and removes the sign.
  6. Should an unauthorized person break into your property, the LAPD is fully authorized to remove and/or arrest the illegal occupant promptly.